Pāriet uz galveno saturu

Letter to an unknown soldier

N.B. "Write a letter to an unknown soldier", was an exercise given to us by our lecturer at the start of the year. I decided to go with a series of letters that show the 5 stages of grief.


My dearest husband,

Dinner is on the hob waiting for Your return. I understand that You work hard for me and the children and would’ve loved seeing Your wife awake tonight, but I couldn’t have stayed up for any longer. Lottie’s teeth are coming in, she was crying all day and that has left me tired and weak.

I’ll see You in the morning, my love!

***

Love,

It’s been three days. The dinner is still in the kitchen for You. The police have been in and out of the house telling me that You are lost without a trace. I refuse to believe this! Good for nothing clowns! Wherever You may be, know that me, Lottie and Samuel are at home waiting for You. Our son won’t leave me alone with questions. You missed the game You promised him you would attend together. Lottie just keeps crying.

No matter what they say, I will never stop waiting for You. You are our world.

***

Hello,

The crisp smell of the November morning You left for work has now changed to the dreadful stench of the rotting chicken carcass that is still sitting on the hob waiting for your return. How dare You leave me?! Do You think it’s fair? It’s January now. The children and I are freezing like cockroaches. This is the coldest winter in 15 years. I don’t have the energy to sort firewood for the house. Lottie is now in the hospital with pneumonia I hope You’re happy! What kind of a piece of shit man would leave his family like that?! I hate you! Be a man!

Come back and own up to what You have done!

***

Lover,

You haven’t left my thoughts for a minute of my life. Birds are now chirping and our garden is in full bloom. I have cleaned our house, thrown out that awful night's dinner which had haunted me for months. You’ll be happy to know that the children are healthy. Lottie is growing more and more beautiful. Samuel is going to basketball camp in the summer like You wanted him to even though I said he is way too young to be away from us for that long. He reminds me of You. I have been wearing that yellow dotted dress You got me for my birthday two years ago. Before Lottie. I have spoken to a private detective. His services are expensive but I have picked up a job cleaning our local supermarket for two hours a night while the children sleep.

I will do anything to have You back.

***

Husband,

My life without You has lost meaning. I roam the house like a ghost. I have stopped eating. My mother now has the children. 3rd of August. Our wedding anniversary. My mother found me in the bath, in that same yellow dotted dress you loved me in so much, with my wrists slit open, gushing, whatever life I had in me, out. I wish she hadn’t come. I wish I had died. They have threatened me with putting the children in an orphanage. I couldn’t care less. It hurts me to see them. Both of them have your damned eyes.

***

Eternal love of my life,

It has been a full year since Your disappearance. I am fully healed now. I think of You less and less each day. Having You on my mind constantly drained me and left me a shell of a woman. I am now with child and with Your blessing I want to call him by Your name. I will cherish Your memory. You will always be in mine and our children’s hearts but I have now found the strength to move on. The detective and I are to be married around Christmas time. The children love him too. I now have to run and finish up dinner before he returns.

Love You forever, may You rest in peace.
Your wife.

Komentāri