Pāriet uz galveno saturu

Highway to extinction?



N.B. We were given an exercise to produce a feature article on a current and pressing issue.




I’m on a bus, on my way to class. As I nervously type what’s now become my own genre classic “I’m sorry I’m late AGAIN” e-mail to my lecturer, deleting and adding words because they don’t sound apologetic enough, I visualise that disappointed glance so well, that it makes me feel that awkward state creep up prematurely. I quickly press “send”, mutter something about Jesus Christ, and look through the window covered in dust and breath condensate. The bus is stuck in traffic. The picture outside the window is moving at about 10 frames per second. I start looking at the people in cars that are shuffling past us, then stop, then go past us again. This reminds me of the “Cha-cha slide”, I laugh to myself. A woman two seats away from me is calling work to inform of her lateness, other passengers follow suit. I notice something that our rival drivers have in common - most of them, if not all, are alone in their five seaters. The audacity! The privilege!

Now I am fully aware that everyone has the right to travel in the comfort of their private car but it’s early, I’m late and the quiet tension is running high here!

It’s not only pure jealousy that drives my anger, pun intended. It’s the sheer ignorance. I have always dreamt of a bright pink, way too expensive sports car, but the planet is currently spinning into extinction at an increased speed. If I got a penny for each panic attack... Governments and activists around the world are taking measures to decrease our carbon footprint while these guys are enjoying a private listening of Katy Perry’s latest single on the radio and the scenic views of the A71. Not to mention, the more of us there are on the road, the longer it takes us to get anywhere!

Air pollution causes over 2,500 early deaths in Scotland every year and traffic is the dominant cause of air pollution. According to the “Scottish Transport Statistics No 35: 2016 Edition” car ownership in Scotland is increasing. 70% of households own one or more cars for private use. Legal limits for toxins from traffic were breached at seven busy city streets across Scotland in 2019, harming health and increasing the risk of cancer, strokes, and heart attacks. Pretty dire, come to think of it.



The Scottish Government has doubled funding for active travel from £40 to £80 million as part of their strategy, "Cleaner Air for Scotland".Councils can apply for funding to build long-distance segregated cycle paths to encourage change in travel behaviour.

The Scottish government also sees buses as a core service for tackling the issue of air pollution. “There will be air quality improvement and concurrent benefits for users and non-users if buses can run cleanly, quickly and reliably” is stated in the strategy. The plan is to encourage people to use public transport more often so that there are fewer private cars on the road. The plan also includes the building of more park and rides’. It’s a cost-effective tool for local councils and it’s convenient enough for travelers.

Means to tackle air pollution are put in place by the government and councils with infrastructure and legislation. It’s really up to us to take responsibility and make a change by changing our habits.

As a full-time bus user, I am fully aware of the dark sides of public transportation. It takes too long (I think we know whose fault this is by now), it’s either too cold or too hot, there’s no in-between, it doesn’t smell great, and someone always tries to sit next to you even when there’s a vast amount of empty seats or happier-faced people to sit next to. Never mind the manspreaders and newspaper albatrosses.

As a millennial who values their personal space as much as the next one, I have another option for you - car sharing! It’s great for saving money, meeting new people, saving time AND the planet. Gocarshare.com and liftshare.com are the big ones you should familiarise yourself with. When using these sites, you can sign up as a driver or a passenger.

As a driver, you can earn an extra buck and as a passenger, you save a bunch. It’s a win on both parts AND you’re decreasing CO2 emissions.

GoCarShare is linked with Facebook which makes it easy to find out information about fellow users. For example, whether you have friends in common, their interests, or university attended. The driver then lets the passenger know whether they can share with them by accepting them if it suits, or declining them if it doesn't. Once the journey is complete, you can leave each other feedback to help future GoCarSharers.

The idea that later became Liftshare.com came to Ali Clabburn in 1996 - then a Bristol University student who one day realised that he didn’t have enough money for the train fare back to Norfolk. Convinced there must be others driving in a similar direction, he pinned a message on a student notice board, asking if anyone could give him a lift. Three people responded and it kicked off.




It only took Ali three other student’s initiative to start moving in the direction of change for the better of our planet. I’m sure that deep down you care too. If not for yourself then your children and hopefully grandchildren. It takes so little for us humans to change our behaviour but it can make such a huge difference.

I am asking you in the name of all of us humans, flora and fauna on this planet that you rethink your actions. Change is good, especially if it’s in for the good of the planet.

We must not just sit in our air-conditioned cars and wait for the world to change around us. We have to start with ourselves. “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” - Rumi.

Komentāri